Vacancy Brief Description
1. The Director for Corporate Services, Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs, invites applications for the position of Technical Attaché (Economy & Budget) in the Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs .
3.1 The Malta Salary and the Post Adjustment Allowances attached to the position of a Technical Attaché is equivalent to the maximum step of Salary Scale 7 less an increment (equivalent to €28,311.83 in 2021), with the attainment of the maximum on confirmation or completion of one (1) year service, whichever is the later. In addition, the Technical Attache' will be granted the benefits provided for in the Conditions of Service for Officers Serving Overseas.
3.2 In cases where the selected candidate is already currently serving in the position of Technical Attaché at a salary scale, benefits and allowances that are higher than those establsihed at section 3.1 above, the applicable compensation upon re-appointment in such exceptional cases shall be the higher applicable salary scale, benefits and allowances.
3.3 For the duration of the Agreement, the Technical Attaché shall abide by the `Conditions of Service for Officers Serving Overseas` (MFA9/2015; CONDSER June 2015 V1.1) and which may be updated from time to time.
4. The job duties for the position of Technical Attaché may be viewed in Annex A attached to this Circular.
5.1 By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of the other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”; or
- in possession of a residence document issued in terms of the “Residence Status of United Kingdom Nationals and their Family Members in Malta in accordance with the Agreement on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community Regulations”.
The advice of the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs within the Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
ii. must be proficient in the Maltese and English language ;
iii. in possession of a recognised Masters qualification at MQF Level 7 (subject to a minimum of 60 ECST/ECVET credits, or equivalent)* in areas that would enable them to effectively discharge their duties in the selected area plus one (1) year relevant work experience;
in possession of a recognised Bachelor`s qualification at MQF Level 6 (subject to a minimum of 180 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent)* in areas that would enable them to effectively discharge their duties in the selected area, or a comparable professional qualification, plus three (3) years relevant work experience.
*In the absence of documentary evidence as to the ECTS/ECVET credits or other system of measuring the course content, the selection board is to evaluate the submitted programme of study and determine that is comparable to 60/180 ECTS/ECVET credits. The advice of the MQRIC may be sought.
iv. Public Officers applying for this post must be confirmed in their current appointment.
5.2 Qualifications at a level higher than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements.
Moreover, candidates who have not yet formally obtained any of the above-mentioned qualifications will still be considered, provided that they submit evidence that they have been approved for the award of the qualifications in question, or successfully completed the necessary ECTS/ECVETS credits, or equivalent, taken as part of a recognized higher MQF level program of study, as required in the afore-mentioned eligibility criteria, by the closing time and date of the call for applications.
5.3 Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for (applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service must produce an updated Service and Leave Record Form (GP 47) issued not earlier than one (1) month from date of application; those applying from outside the Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details).
5.4 Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 5.1 to 5.3 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
5.5 Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
5.6 Applications from a serving Technical Attaché at the Permanent Representation of Malta to the European Union in Brussels will only be considered if he/she have served by the closing date of this call for applications a minimum of at least two years in the current Technical Attache' postion.
Ministry / Department Details
Ministry / Department :
Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs
Contact Persons :
331, Allied House, St. Paul`s Street, Valletta
(+356) 2204 2323
Email address :
In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications.
Other general provisions concerning call for applications, with particular reference to:
• applicable benefits, conditions and rules/regulations;
• reasonable accommodation for registered persons with disability;
• submission of recognition statements in respect of qualifications;
• publication of the result;
• medical examination;
• the process for the submission of petitions concerning the result;
• access to application forms and related details;
• retention of documents,
may be viewed by accessing the website of the People and Standards Division (https://recruitmentintra.gov.mt/generalprovisions/GeneralProvisionsEN.pdf)