Vacancy Brief Description
1. The Permanent Secretary , Ministry for the Family, Children's Rights and Social Solidarity invites applications for the post of Assistant Manager (Procurement) in the Ministry for the Family, Children's Rights and Social Solidarity.
2.1 This appointment is subject to a probationary period of six (6) months .
2.2 During the probationary/trial period, appointees must successfully complete appropriate induction programmes organised by the Institute for Public Service to be eligible for confirmation of appointment.
2.3 During the probationary/trial period, appointees must successfully complete a training course organised by the Institute of Public Services for officers performing duties in Procurement (at MQF Level 4), within one (1) year of their date of appointment, in order to be eligible for confirmation of appointment. Therfore, officers engaged who would not have obtained this certification within the probationary period of six (6) months, will be given a onetime extension of their probabtionary period of six (6) months to successfully obtain this certification.
2.4 The salary for the post of Assistant Manager (Procurement) for those applicants entering into the grade under the eligibility provisions of paragraph 4.1 (iii) (a) or (iii) (c) is Salary Scale 12, which in the year 2020 is equivalent to, €18,142 per annum, rising by annual increments of €354 up to a maximum of €20,266.
2.5 An Assistant Manager (Procurement) in Salary Scale 12 will progress to Scale 11, which in the year 2020 is equivalent to €19,350 per annum, rising by annual increments of €375.17 up to a maximum of €21,601, on attainment of the MQF Level 5 Diploma referred to in paragraph 4.1 (iii) (b), in not more than two (2) years from the date of appointment, failure of which, appointment would be relinquished.
2.6 An Assistant Manager (Procurement) who satisfies the eligibility provision of paragraph 4.1 (iii) (b) will be placed in Salary Scale 11, which will progress to Scale 10 (€20,603x €407.67 - €23,049) in the year 2020 on completion of 3 years service in the grade, in Salary Scale 11, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.7 On being appointed, a successful candidate would be requested to renounce to other applications currently in process within the Public Service which is/are pending at the time of this appointment, without prejudice to applications for Assistant Director calls.
2.8 Lateral applications by public officers who already hold an appointment in the same grade/position being advertised are allowed only if the area of specialisation of the vacancy is different to the one held by the applicant and requires a specific related qualification as an eligibility requirement, which the applicant must satisfy.
- Successful candidates are to serve in this post for a minimum of two (2) years, without prejudice to applications for Assistant Director calls.
2.9 It will not be possible to request a transfer before a two (2) year period from date of appointment. On the lapse of a two (2) year period, appointees may only be transferred at own request to carry out duties elsewhere in Procurement , subject to availability of vacancies and the exigencies of management.
2.10 The result will be valid for a period of two (2) years from the date of publication.
3. The duties of Assistant manager (Procurement) include:
i. the keeping of IT databases updated with correct information of tenders published and throughout the whole procurement cycle;
ii. assisting the Departmental Contracts Committee by taking minutes and preparing memos;
iii. use the e-procurement system (e-PPS) in an efficient and effective manner to expedite matters and achieve results;
iv. informing Contracting Authorities that the offers have been unlocked and which documentation is to be produced when submitting the Evaluation Report;
v. monitoring the timely submission of the Evaluation Reports and sending the necessary reminders;
vi. monitor and record awards or rejections to Economic Operators who submitted a bid;
vii. forward copies of the Contract Agreement to competent Authorities;
viii. assist in the preparation of procurement documents for the purchase of requirements;
ix. assist in the monitoring and enforcement of the public procurement procedures and ensure that all procurement documents are in line with applicable procedural, technical and legal requirements;
x. circulate and keep proper records of Contracts Circulars and Procurement Policy Notes, Standard Operating Procedures and any other Procurement related material;
xi. any other duties as assigned by the Director or his/her representative;
xii. any other duties according to the exigencies of the Public Service as directed by the Principal Permanent Secretary.
4.1 By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006 or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the Family Reunification Regulations, 2007.
The advice of the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs within the Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
- able to communicate in the Maltese and English language ;
- (a) in possession of a recognized Diploma (MQF Level 4), in Procurement or Business or Finance or a recognized comparable qualification;
(b) in possession of a recognized qualification at MQF Level 5 (subject to a minimum of 60 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent, with regard to programmes commencing as from October 2003) in Procurement or Business or Finance or a recognized comparable professional qualification;
(c) in possession of two (2) subjects at Advanced level (one of which must include a pass in one subject of the following: Accounts or Economics or Physics, or Computing/ICT or Marketing or Pure Mathematics or Mathematics) and three (3) subjects at Intermediate Matriculation Level (one of which must inlcude a pass in one subject of the following: Accounts or Economics or Physics or Computing/ICT or Marketing or Pure Mathematics or Mathematics).
Public Officers applying for the post must be confirmed in their current appointment.
Successful candidates who are in possession of a recognised MQF Level 4, (Diploma or two subjects at Advanced level and three subjects at Intermediate Matriculation level, or a recognised comparable qualification) in the areas highlighted in 4.1 iii), shall enter as Assistant Manager (Salary Scale 12). On appointment, appointees will bind themselves to successfully complete a recognised qualification in a related area at MQF Level 5, in not more than two (2) years, to progress to Salary Scale 11, failure of which they would relinquish their appointment. Upon possession of a relevant MQF Level 5 in related areas such officers shall progress to Assistant Manager (Salary Scale 11). All other progressions shall be in accordance with the provisions enshrined in the document entitled ‘Working Conditions for Officers within the Managerial Stream for Qualified Personnel’.
4.2 Qualifications at a level higher than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements.
Moreover, candidates who have not yet formally obtained any of the qualifications as indicated in paragraph 4.1 (iii) will still be considered, provided that they submit evidence that they have obtained the qualifications in question, or successfully completed the necessary ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent, taken as part of a higher recognised MQF level programme of study, as required in the afore-mentioned eligibility criteria, by the closing time and date of the call for applications.
4.3 Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for (applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service must produce an updated Service and Leave Record Form (GP 47) issued not earlier than one (1) month from date of application; those applying from outside the Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details).
4.4 Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 4.1 to 4.3 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
4.5 Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
- All Calls for Applications close at 19:00 on the respective closing dates unless otherwise stated.
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications