Vacancy Brief Description
The Ministry for Education and Sport (MEDS) would like to remind all interested applicants that it has zero tolerance policy towards any form of child abuse. MEDS adheres to S.L. 327.546 (Recruitment, Initial Training and Continuous Professional Development of Personnel and Protection of Minors in Compulsory Educations Regulations 2016) in its recruitment process.
1.1. The Permanent Secretary, Ministry for Education and Sport (MEDS) invites applications from retired Heads of School, Assistant Heads of School, Education Officers, Heads of Department and Teachers/Instructors, who served in state and non-state licensed schools offering compulsory education to perform teaching duties within the State Colleges in the Ministry for Education and Sport to serve in Malta and/or Gozo for a definite period on a full-time or part-time basis, as and when required.
1.2. Applicants may apply for any of the subjects/areas/cycle taught in compulsory education, by indicating in CV the subject/s/area/cycle. For a list of subjects/areas/cycle kindly see Appendix A.
3.1. Chosen retired teachers/instructors who return to teach, will be remunerated at the Salary Scale and step on which they retired, including all relevant applicable allowances, on presentation of evidence (testimonials/documents) to the satisfaction of management.
3.2. Chosen Heads of School, Assistant Heads of School, Education Officers, and Heads of Department who return to teach, will be remunerated at the maximum of Salary Scale 7 (which is the maximum of a teacher’s Salary), including all relevant applicable allowances.
3.3. Mid-day break supervision will be paid at the applicable rate currently, €12.92 per hour.
3.4. A selected applicant will also be entitled to the annual bonus and the weekly income supplement both in full if working on a full-time basis or on a pro-rata basis according to the number of contact and non-contact hours worked if working on a part-time basis, provided however that these are not already being enjoyed by him/her under any of the provisions of the Social Security Act.
4. The job duties for the position of Retired Teacher may be viewed in Annex A attached to this Circular.
5.1. By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of the other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”; or
- in possession of a residence document issued in terms of the “Residence Status of United Kingdom Nationals and their Family Members in Malta in accordance with the Agreement on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community Regulations”.
The advice of the Citizenship Unit within Community Malta Agency and the Expatriates Unit within Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
ii. able to communicate in the Maltese and English Languages;
iii. retired Teachers/Instructors, Heads of School, Assistant Heads of School, Education Officers and Heads of Department who:
(a) are in possession of a Teacher’s Warrant (Permanent);
(b) have at least five (5) scholastic years teaching experience in the subject/area/cycle applied for in a licensed school offering compulsory education.
5.2. Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for. In the case of applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service, the GP 47 is to be requested by HR Unit of the ministry /department issuing the call for application from the Director responsible for HR where applicants are serving, while those applying from outside the Public Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details.
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications.