Vacancy Brief Description
1. The Director for Corporate Services, Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs invites applications for the post of Manager I in the European Union Coordination Department (EUCD) within the Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs.
2.1 This appointment is subject to a probationary period of twelve (12) months.
2.2 During the probationary/trial period, appointees must successfully complete appropriate induction programmes organised by the Institute for the Public Services to be eligible for confirmation of appointment.
2.3 The salary for the post of Manager I is Salary Scale 10, which in year 2021 is € 21,267 per annum, rising by annual increments of €407.67 up to a maximum of €23,713.
2.4 A Manager I in Salary Scale 10 will progress to Salary Scale 9 (€22,633.02 x €447.33 - €25,317 in 2021) on completion of two (2) years service as Manager I in Salary Scale 10, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.5 A Manager I in Salary Scale 9 will progress to Salary Scale 8 (€24,091 x €486.83 - €27,012 in 2021) on completion of five (5) years service as Manager I in Salary Scale 9, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.6 A Manager I in Salary Scale 8 will progress to Salary Scale 7 (€25,656 x €531.17 - €28,843 in 2021) on completion of three (3) years service as Manager I in Salary Scale 8, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.7 Appointees will also be entitled to the payment of an annual performance bonus of up to a maximum of 10% of his/her basic salary, subject to satisfactory performance and subject to Central Administration’s policies in force from time to time.
2.8 Appointees will also be entitled to such other benefits as tied to such post and to the performance of such duties within the EUCD.
2.9 Accepting appointment in this grade signifies that any pending applications within the Public Service are automatically considered renounced, unless the latter are applications for SAAC positions or applications for a definite position when the officer concerned holds an indefinite appointment.
2.10 Lateral applications by public officers who already hold an appointment in the same grade being advertised are allowed only if the area of specialisation of the vacancy is different to the one held by the applicant and requires a specific related qualification as an eligibility requirement, which the applicant must satisfy.
- Appointees within the Managerial/Officer/Practitioners streams must have served in their current post, are to serve in this post, for a minimum of two (2) years before applying laterally. This is not applicable for promotion purposes, subject to the pertinent eligibility criteria.
- All other officers must be confirmed in appointment, and if appointed are to serve in this post for a minimum of two (2) years, before applying laterally. The latter condition is not applicable for promotion purposes.
2.11 It will not be possible to request a transfer before a two (2) year period from date of appointment.On the lapse of a two (2) year period, appointees may only be transferred at own request to carry out duties elsewhere in the area of Research , in accordance with established vacancies.
2.12 The result will be valid for a period of two (2) years from the date of publication.
3. The job duties for the post of Manager I may be viewed in Annex A attached to this Circular.
4.1 By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18 (3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”; or
- in possession of a residence document issued in terms of the “Residence Status of United Kingdom Nationals and their Family Members in Malta in accordance with the Agreement on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community Regulations”.
The advice of the Citizenship Unit within Community Malta Agency and the Expatriates Unit within Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
ii. must be proficient in the English and Maltese Languages ;
iii. in possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree at MQF Level 6 (subject to a minimum of 180 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent*) in Statistics or Economics or European Studies or Sociology or Law or Public Policy or International Relations or Diplomatic Studies or Mediterranean Studies.
*In the absence of documentary evidence as to the ECTS/ ECVET credits or other system of measuring the course content, the selection board is to evaluate the submitted programme of study and determine that it is comparable to 180 ECTS/ ECVET credits. The advice of the MQRIC may be sought.
iv. Public Officers applying for this post must be confirmed in their current appointment.
4.2 Qualifications at a level higher than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements. A Master's qualification at MQF Level 7, or equivalent, must comprise a minimum of 60 ECTS/ECVETS credits or equivalent*.
*In the absence of documentary evidence as to the ECTS/ECVET credits or other system of measuring the course content, the selection board is to evaluate the submitted programme of study and determine that it is comparable to 60 ECTS/ECVET credits. The advice of the MQRIC may be sought.
Moreover, candidates who have not yet formally obtained any of the qualifications as indicated in paragraph 4.1 (iii) will still be considered, provided that they submit evidence that they have obtained the qualifications in question, or successfully completed the necessary ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent, taken as part of a higher recognised MQF level programme of study, as required in the aforementioned eligibility criteria, by the closing time and date of the call for applications.
4.3 Furthermore, candidates who have not yet formally obtained the qualification specified in paragraphs 4.1 (iii) or else as indicated in paragraph 4.2 will still be considered provided that they submit evidence that they are in the final phase of their course leading to such qualification. Appointees must have obtained or be approved for the award of such qualification by the 31st October 2021. If the stipulated deadline for the attainment of such qualification is not met, the appointment will be, ipso facto, automatically terminated.
(a) The probation period and progression entitlement (as the case may be) start to count from date of appointment.
(b) Appointees will not benefit from any allowances until attainment of, or are approved for the indicated qualification referred to in clause 4.1 (iii) and 4.2.
4.4 Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for. In the case of applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service, the GP 47 is to be requested by HR Unit of the ministry /department issuing the call for application from the Director responsible for HR where applicants are serving, while those applying from outside the Public Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details.
4.5 Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 4.1 to 4.4 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
4.6 Applicants are obliged to immediately inform the Selection Board (if result has not yet been published, in which case the application should be withdrawn by the applicant) or the HR Unit within the issuing ministry / department (if result has been published) upon any change in the status of their appointment from the date of submission of their application until the closing date, or upon being called for appointment as a result, of this call for application, as the case may be. Non-observance of this instruction may lead to disciplinary action. On its part, at the start of the interview, the Selection Board will request the candidate to declare any changes in status of his/her current appointment from the date of submission of application.
4.7 Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
Ministry / Department Details
Ministry / Department :
Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs
Contact Persons :
Ms Marylene Borg
331, Allied House, St Paul`s Street, Valletta
(+356) 2204 2323
Email address :
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications.