Vacancy Brief Description
1. The Director (People Management), Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects invites applications for the post of Tradesman/Senior Tradesman (Motor Vehicle Mechanic) in the Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects.
2.1 This appointment is subject to a probationary period of six (6) months.
2.2 The salary for the post of Tradesman (Motor Vehicle Mechanic) is Salary Scale 16, which in the year 2020 is equivalent to €13,913 per annum, rising by annual increments of €263 up to a maximum of €15,491.
2.3 A Tradesman (Motor Vehicle Mechanic) will progress to Salary Scale 15, which in the year 2020 is (€14,821 x €298 - €16,609) on completion of five (5) years service in the grade, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.4 A Tradesman will be promoted to the grade of Senior Tradesman in Salary Scale 14, which in the year 2020 is equivalent to €15,870 per annum, rising by annual increments of €316.83 up to a maximum of €17,771 on completion of 10 years' service in the grade of Tradesman, or five (5) years if in possession of a Higher Technician Diploma or a recognised, comparable or higher technical qualification, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.5 The Higher Technician Diploma is rated at Level 5 within the Malta Qualification Framework (subject to a minimum of 60 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent with regard to programmes commencing as from October 2003). A person in possession of an MQF Level 4 appropriate recognised qualification (subject to a minimum of 120 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent with regard to programmes commencing as from October 2003) followed by two (2) years proven appropriate experience shall be deemed to satisfy the clause Higher Technician Diploma or appropriate equivalent qualification.
2.6 The appointee will be entitled to such other benefits and subject to such other conditions and obligations as may be stipulated in any pertinent agreement between the Government of Malta and the competent Union.
3. The duties of Tradesman/Senior Tradesman (Motor Vehicle Mechanic) include the following:
i. Troubleshoot reported problems on vehicles and resolve them in a timely manner.
ii. Diagnose and undertake electrical repairs, replace defective wiring in ignition, lighting, air-conditioning and safety control systems on a wide variety of vehicles;
iii. Undertake repairs of hydraulic systems, replenish fluids and apply lubricants to engine components as required;
iv. Be familiar with testing instruments and computerised diagnostic tools, able to read circuit diagrams and follow workshop manuals to find electrical faults, adjust engine control systems and timing;
v. Design a plan of action for all maintenance tasks as well as keeping records of repairs and maintenance of vehicles;
vi. Testing and replacing faulty alternators, generators, starter motors, and related items such as voltage regulators and batteries;
vii. Repair or replace faulty ignition systems, electrical wiring, fuses, lamps, and switches;
viii. Be aware of health and safety regulations and requirements and ensure they are applied within the workshop and on site;
ix. Perform any other related duties as may be deemed necessary by the Director or his/her representative/s;
x. Perform any other duties according to the exigencies of the Public Service as directed by the Principal Permanent Secretary.
4.1 By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”.
The advice of the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs within the Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
ii. able to communicate in Maltese and/or English languages;
iii. in possession of the Journeyman’s Certificate in the trade of Motor Vehicle Mechanic having successfully completed the course of study under the Extended Skills Training Scheme (ESTS), or a recognized, appropriate, comparable or higher qualification.
iv. Public officers whose competence in the trade of Motor Vehicle Mechanic has been certified by a Trade Testing Board set up under the Employment and Training Services Act.
Public Officers applying for this post must be confirmed in their current appointment.
4.2 Qualifications at a higher level than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements.
4.3 Public Officers holding a grade in a particular stream, and who were granted Officer in Scale status by virtue of a Grievances Unit decision in the same scale as that of a higher grade in that stream, are eligible to apply for grades open to officers holding such higher grade within the stream that carries the same scale as that of the Officer in Scale status.
The years of service since the effective date of appointment as Officer in Scale are reckonable for the purpose of satisfying any requisite years of service stipulated in calls for applications.
Any other eligibility requisites for the post must be met in terms of this call for applications.
4.4 Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for (applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service must produce an updated Service and Leave Record Form (GP 47) issued not earlier than one (1) month from date of application; those applying from outside the Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details).
4.5 Lateral applications by public officers who already hold an appointment in the same grade being advertised are allowed only if the area of specialisation of the vacancy is different to the one held by the applicant and requires a specific related qualification as an eligibility requirement, which the applicant must satisfy.
4.6 Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 4.1 to 4.5 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
4.7 Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
- All Calls for Applications close at 19:00 on the respective closing dates unless otherwise stated.
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications