Vacancy Brief Description
The Director (Finance and Administration), Office of the Prime Minister, invites applications for the post of IAID Executive (Compliance and Risk) in the Internal Audit and Investigations Department, within the Cabinet Office, in the Office of the Prime Minister.
This appointment is subject to a probationary period of twelve (12) months.
The salary for the post of IAID Executive (Compliance and Risk) is Salary Scale 7, that is, €24,153 per annum, rising by annual increments of €531.17 up to a maximum of €27,340 (in 2019).
An IAID Executive (Compliance and Risk) will progress to Salary Scale 6 (which in the year 2019 is €25,779 x €596.33 - €29,357) after three (3) years satisfactory service in Salary Scale 7 within the IAID.
In view of the special nature of the duties involved, a selected candidate may also be entitled to a disturbance allowance of up to 15% of the basic salary for work performed regularly after office hours, and/or duties of an extraordinary nature undertaken beyond office hours, as may be required by Management and subject to the approval of Director General (IAID). The allowance may be increased up to 25% in exceptional circumstances, and on the approval of the Secretary to Cabinet, Cabinet Office, within the Office of the Prime Minister. The disturbance allowance is not an automatic allowance and is payable on a month by month basis subject to approval as indicated above.
A selected candidate will also be entitled to:
- a performance bonus of up to a maximum of 15% of his/her basic salary subject to satisfactory performance;
- an annual IAID allowance of €4,000;
- a full annual allowance to be utilized for professional development activities.
A selected candidate may also be entitled to the IAID Certification Allowance(s) as applicable.
The duties of IAID Executive (Compliance and Risk) include:
- Performing duties as guided by the Internal Audit and Financial Investigations Act (Cap. 461 of the Laws of Malta) within the IAID Directorates;
- Monitoring closely and regularly the internal control mechanisms and risk management approaches adopted within the public administration;
- Preparing status reviews and assessments on risk management and internal control within the public administration;
- Monitoring adherence to any internal control standards or risk management guidelines;
- Assisting in the promulgation and communication of internal control standards and risk management procedures within the public administration;
- Participating in any review and/or evaluation of internal control or risk management within the public administration;
- Carrying out independent objective assurance and consulting activities designed to add value and improve the operations of auditees, helping the auditee to accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes;
- Carrying out compliance and assurance functions within Government Ministries, Departments and Entities that ensure that financial and other related controls, systems, policies and procedures necessary for the proper functioning of the Government Ministry, Department or Entity are adhered to;
- Carrying out compliance and assurance functions on public funds which include funds which the Government is required to manage under Malta’s international obligations;
- Carrying out checks and verifications as directed by IAID Directors, IAID Senior Audit Managers, IAID Senior Manager (Compliance and Risk), IAID Audit Managers, and IAID Senior Auditors, as applicable;
- Carrying out any other work as directed by the Director General, Internal Audit and Investigations Department;
- Carrying out any other work as directed by the Secretary to Cabinet; and
- Carrying out any other duties according to the exigencies of the Public Service as directed by the Principal Permanent Secretary.
By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”.
- citizens of Malta; or
The advice of the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs within the Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
- able to communicate in the Maltese and English language;
- must be in possession of a recognized Master’s qualification at MQF Level 7 (subject to a minimum of 60 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent, with regard to programmes commencing as from October 2008) in Management Studies, or Business Studies, or Accountancy, or Auditing, or Public Policy, or Commerce, or Risk Management, or Economics, or Statistics, or Banking and Finance, or a comparable professional qualification, plus at least four (4) years relevant work experience.
Public Officers applying for this post must be confirmed in their current appointment.
Public Officers holding a grade in a particular stream, and who were granted Officer in Scale status by virtue of a Grievances Unit decision in the same scale as that of a higher grade in that stream, are eligible to apply for grades open to officers holding such higher grade within the stream that carries the same scale as that of the Officer in Scale status.
The years of service since the effective date of appointment as Officer in Scale are reckonable for the purpose of satisfying any requisite years of service stipulated in calls for applications.
Any other eligibility requisites for the post must be met in terms of this call for applications.
Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for (applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service must produce an updated Service and Leave Record Form (GP 47) issued not earlier than one (1) month from date of application; those applying from outside the Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details).
Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 4.1 to 4.4 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
Ministry / Department Details
Ministry / Department :
HR Branch, Finance & Administration Directorate, Office of the Prime Minister
Contact Persons :
Maryanne Xuereb, Romina Brincat, Eloise Magro
Auberge de Castille, St Paul’s Street, Valletta
22001010, 22001016, 22001011
Email address :
- All Calls for Applications close at 19:00 on the respective closing dates unless otherwise stated.
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications