Vacancy Brief Description
The Ministry for Education (MFED) would like to remind all interested applicants that it has zero tolerance policy towards any form of child abuse. MFED adheres to S.L. 327.546 (Recruitment, Initial Training and Continuous Professional Development of Personnel and Protection of Minors in Compulsory Education Regulations 2016) in its recruitment process.
1. The Permanent Secretary, Ministry for Education (MFED) invites applications for the post of Social Worker within the Ministry for Education.
2.1. This appointment is subject to a probationary period of one (1) year.
2.2. The salary for the post of Social Worker is Salary Scale 10, which in the year 2021 is equivalent to, €21,267 per annum, rising by annual increments of €407.67 up to a maximum of €23,713.
2.3. A Social Worker will progress to Scale 9 (€22,633 x €447.33 - €25,317) in the year 2021 on completion of two (2) years service in the grade, subject to satisfactory performance and who are in possession of a relevant warrant to practice as a Social Worker.
2.4. A Social Worker will progress to the grade of Social Worker in Scale 8 (€24,091 x €486.83 - €27,012) in the year 2021 on completion of five (5) years service in the grade of Social Worker in Scale 9, or three (3) years if in possession of a recognised and appropriate post-graduate qualification at MQF Level 7, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.5. A Social Worker will further progress to the grade of Social Worker in Scale 7 (€25,656 x €531.17 - €28,843) in the year 2021 on completion of three (3) years satisfactory service in the grade of Social Worker in Scale 8, subject to satisfactory performance.
2.6. An appointee will be entitled to such other benefits and subject to such other conditions and obligations as may be stipulated in any pertinent agreement between the Government and the competent Union.
2.7. Lateral applications in the same grade from public officers are not allowed.
2.8. Accepting appointment in this grade signifies that any pending applications within the Public Service are automatically considered renounced, unless the latter are applications for SAAC positions or applications for a definite position when the officer concerned holds an indefinite appointment.
3. The job duties for the post of Social Worker may be viewed in Annex A attached to this Circular.
4.1. By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
- citizens of Malta; or
- citizens of other Member States of the European Union who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters of employment by virtue of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- citizens of any other country who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment by virtue of the application to that country of EU legislation and treaty provisions dealing with the free movement of workers; or
- any other persons who are entitled to equal treatment to Maltese citizens in matters related to employment in terms of the law or the above-mentioned EU legislation and treaty provisions, on account of their family relationship with persons mentioned in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); or
- third country nationals who have been granted long-term resident status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations, 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members of such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”; or
- in possession of a residence document issued in terms of the “Residence Status of United Kingdom Nationals and their Family Members in Malta in accordance with the Agreement on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community Regulations”.
The advice of the Citizenship Unit within Community Malta Agency and the Expatriates Unit within Identity Malta Agency should be sought as necessary in the interpretation of the above provisions.
The appointment of candidates referred to at (b), (c), (d) and (e) above would necessitate the issue of an employment licence in so far as this is required by the Immigration Act and subsidiary legislation. Jobsplus should be consulted as necessary on this issue.
ii. able to communicate in the Maltese and English languages;
iii. in possession of a Degree at MQF Level 6 (subject to a minimum of 180 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent *) in BA Hons. in Social Work or an equivalent recognised comparable qualification.
* In the absence of documentary evidence as to the ECTS/ECVET credits or other system of measuring the course content, the selection board is to evaluate the submitted programme of study and determine that it is comparable to 180 ECTS/ECVET credits. The advice of the MQRIC may be sought.
iv. Public Officers applying for the post must be confirmed in their current appointment.
4.2. (i) Qualifications at a level higher than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements. A Master’s qualification at MQF Level 7, or equivalent, must comprise a minimum of 60 ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent *.
* In the absence of documentary evidence as to the ECTS/ECVET credits or other system measuring the course content, the selection board is to evaluate the submitted programme of study and determine that it is comparable to 60 ECTS/ECVET credits. The advice of the MQRIC may be sought.
(ii) Moreover, candidates who have not yet formally obtained any of the above-mentioned qualifications will still be considered. Such candidates are to submit evidence that they have been approved for the award of the qualification in question.
(iii) Furthermore, candidates who are currently following a recognised programme of study at a higher MQF level than that requested above will also be considered. Such candidates are to submit evidence that they have successfully completed the necessary ECTS/ECVETS credits, or equivalent, and attained the required MQF level, by the closing time and date of the call for applications.
4.3. Public Officers holding a grade in a particular stream, and who were granted Officer in Scale status by virtue of a Grievances Unit decision in the same scale as that of a higher grade in that stream, are eligible to apply for grades open to officers holding such higher grade within the stream that carries the same scale as that of the Officer in Scale status.
The years of service since the effective date of appointment as Officer in Scale are reckonable for the purpose of satisfying any requisite years of service stipulated in calls for applications.
Any other eligibility requisites for the post must be met in terms of this call for applications.
4.4. Public officers who currently hold an appointment as Officer in Grade are considered on a personal basis to pertain to the Class/Stream of their immediately previous substantive grade, and may apply on the basis of their current scale as Officer in Grade, which must be equivalent to, or higher than, what is required by this call for applications.
The years of service since the effective date of appointment as Officer in Grade are reckonable for the purpose of satisfying any requisite years of “service in the grade” as stipulated in calls for applications.
Any other eligibility requisites for the post/position must be met in terms of this call for applications.
4.5. Applicants who are in the final year of the course leading to the award of their appropriate qualification as per paragraph 4.1 (iii) may still apply. Such applicants would need to prove the successful completion of the relevant course either by 30th November 2021, or by 30th November 2022 if applying after 30th November 2021, or any other further date determined per current circumstances related to COVID-19. Failure to provide such evidence will lead to the removal from the result merit list.
4.6. Applicants must be of conduct which is appropriate to the post applied for. In the case of applicants who are already in the Malta Public Service, the GP 47 is to be requested by the HR Unit of the ministry /department issuing the call for application from the Director responsible for HR where applicants are serving, while those applying from outside the Public Service must produce a Certificate of Conduct issued by the Police or other competent authority not earlier than one (1) month from the date of application and state whether they have ever been in Government Service, giving details.
4.7. Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 4.1 to 4.6 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
4.8. Applicants are obliged to immediately inform the Selection Board (if result has not yet been published, in which case the application should be withdrawn by the applicant) or the HR Unit within the issuing ministry / department (if result has been published) upon any change in the status of their appointment from the date of submission of their application until the closing date, or upon being called for appointment as a result, of this call for application, as the case may be. Non-observance of this instruction may lead to disciplinary action. On its part, at the start of the interview, the Selection Board will request the candidate to declare any changes in status of his/her current appointment from the date of submission of application.
4.9. Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
Ministry / Department Details
Ministry / Department :
Ministry for Education
Contact Persons :
Great Siege Road, Floriana,VLT2000
Email address :
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications.