Vacancy Brief Description
1. The Permanent Secretary (Merger and Administration), Ministry for Finance and Financial Services invites applications for the post of Manager I (Research) in the Ministry for Finance and Financial Services.
2.1 This appointment is subject to a probationary period of twelve (12) months .
2.2 During the probationary/trial period, appointees must successfully complete appropriate induction programmes organised by the Institute for the Public Services to be eligible for confirmation of appointment.
2.3 The salary for the post of Manager I (Research) is Salary Scale 10, which in the year 2020 is €20,603 per annum, rising by annual increments of €407.67 up to a maximum of €23,049.
2.4 A Manager I will progress to Salary Scale 9 (€21,933 x €447.33 - €24,617 in 2020) on completion of two (2) years satisfactory service as Manager I in Salary Scale 10.
2.5 A Manager I will progress to Salary Scale 8 (€23,358 x €486.83 - €26,279 in 2020) after five (5) years satisfactory service as Manager I in Salary Scale 9.
2.6 A Manager I will progress to Salary Scale 7 (€24,894 x €531.17 - €28,081 in 2020) after three (3) years satisfactory service as Manager I in Salary Scale 8.
2.7 The selected applicant shall also be entitled to an annual performance bonus of up to 10% of the basic salary subject to satisfactory performance and subject to Central Administration’s policies in force from time to time.
2.8 On being appointed, a successful candidate would be requested to renounce to any other application/s currently in process within the Public Service which is/are pending at the time of this appointment, without prejudice to SAAC calls (including Assistant Directors).
2.9 Lateral applications by public officers who already hold an appointment in the same grade/position being advertised are allowed only if the area of specialisation of the vacancy is different to the one held by the applicant and requires a specific related qualification as an eligibility requirement, which the applicant must satisfy.
- Applicants within the Managerial/Officer/Practitioners streams must have served in their current post, and if appointed are to serve in this post, for a minimum of two (2) years before applying laterally. This is not applicable for promotion purposes, subject to the pertinent eligibility criteria.
- All other officers must be confirmed in appointment, and if appointed are to serve in this post for a minimum of two (2) years, before applying laterally. The latter condition is not applicable for promotion purposes.
2.10 It will not be possible to request a transfer before a two (2) year period from date of appointment. On the lapse of a two (2) year period, appointees may only be transferred at own request to carry out duties elsewhere in Research , subject to availability of vacancies and the exigencies of management.
2.11 The result will be valid for a period of two (2) years from the date of publication.
3. The job duties for the post of Manager I (Research) may be viewed in Annex A attached to this Circular.
4.1 By the closing time and date of this call for applications, applicants must be:
Public Officers, or Public Sector employees performing duties in the Malta Public Service, or RSSL employees, who are confirmed in their current appointment. Public Officers who are on loan/detailed with/deployed with/on attachment to Public Sector organisations may also apply;
- in possession of a recognised Bachelors qualification at MQF Level 6 (subject to a minimum of 180 ECTS/ECVET credits or equivalent, with regard to programmes commencing as from October 2003), in Statistics or Economics or European Studies or Sociology or Law or Public Policy or a comparable professional qualification .
4.2 Qualifications at a level higher than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements. A Masters qualification at MQF Level 7, or equivalent, must comprise a minimum of 60 ECTS/ECVET credits with regard to programmes commencing as from October 2008.
Moreover, candidates who have not yet formally obtained any of the qualifications as indicated in paragraph 4.1(a) will still be considered, provided that they submit evidence that they have obtained the qualifications in question, or successfully completed the necessary ECTS/ECVET credits, or equivalent, taken as part of a higher recognised MQF level programme of study, as required in the aforementioned eligibility criteria, by the closing time and date of the call for applications.
4.3 Furthermore, candidates who have not yet formally obtained or have not yet been approved for the qualification specified in paragraph 4.1(a) or else as indicated in paragraph 4.2 will still be considered provided that they submit evidence that they would obtain or be approved for such qualification by the 31st October 2020. If selected, such candidates must produce the qualification indicated before appointment. If the deadline is not met, the selected candidates will be disqualified from the result.
4.4 To determine the comparable level of responsibility of Public Sector employees currently performing duties in the Public Service and RSSL employees to the level of responsibility required of Public Officers applying for this position, the Selection Board should invariably and formally consult the Director/HR Manager responsible for the respective Public Sector entity.
The current arrangement, whereby Public Sector employees performing duties in the Public Service remain on the books of the respective entity, shall continue to apply in the case of Public Sector employees who are selected for the post, subject to the consent of the entity. RSSL employees selected for this post will have their employment with RSSL ipso facto terminated following the successful completion of the probationary period.
4.5. Applicants must be eligible to take up their due appointment, in terms of 4.1 to 4.4 above, not only by the closing time and date of this call for applications but also on the date of appointment.
4.6 Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect of their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable, as per provisions applicable to this call for applications (see link below).
- In case of conflict in interpretation of any part/s of a call for applications, the final interpretation should be that of the published Maltese version of the call for applications